Florida, renowned for its picturesque weather and predominantly flat topography, stands out as one of the most dangerous states for pedestrians.
The state grapples with an alarming number of fatal pedestrian accidents, ranking second in the nation, with seven Florida cities within the top 20 list of the most treacherous places for pedestrians.
The Blakeley Law Firm, P.A. is a beacon of hope for pedestrians who suffered personal injuries due to accidents. With a rich history of championing the rights of these individuals, our firm is committed to getting them the compensation they deserve. Reach out to a Fort Lauderdale pedestrian accident attorney.
Our battle-tested legal team routinely faces off against some of the industry’s largest and most financially robust insurance companies. We understand the intricate nuances of these complex cases and have what it takes to secure just and equitable settlements for our clients—nothing less.
Our unwavering dedication to our clients and extensive experience navigating the legal complexities of pedestrian injury cases position us as a formidable advocate for pedestrians seeking justice.
Why Choose Us to Represent Your Pedestrian Injury Claim?
Our firm commitment to fighting for justice speaks to our excellent reputation.
Our highly skilled legal team focuses on personal injury cases related to pedestrian accidents. Our main goal is for survivors to get the compensation they deserve for their losses.
We offer even more:
Extensive skill: If you need legal help to protect your rights and deal with medical and car insurance complications after an accident, our lawyers are here to help.
Whether you’re dealing with property damage, problems with your health insurance, or injuries caused by someone’s carelessness or unsafe conditions, we know how to investigate and strongly advocate for your rights.
Se habla Español: We are excited to offer our services in English and Spanish, underlining our commitment to serving our diverse communities. We want you to feel at home working with the Blakeley Law Firm.
Convenient locations: The Blakeley Law Firm maintains offices here in Fort Lauderdale, providing accessible and localized support to our clients.
Our Fort Lauderdale office is easy to find—next to the CBS Sports Center on West Cypress Creek Road.
The Fundamentals of Pedestrian Accidents in Fort Lauderdale
Pedestrians are on foot. They are not in vehicles, on horseback, or riding a bicycle.
As one of Florida’s major cities, Fort Lauderdale shares in the state’s concerning trend of pedestrian accidents. The statistics are alarming, with numerous accidents occurring each year, many resulting in serious injuries or even fatalities.
Several factors contribute to the high rate of pedestrian accidents in Fort Lauderdale:
- Heavy traffic: Fort Lauderdale has a significant amount of traffic. Cars, trucks, and other automobiles on the roads increase the risk of pedestrian accidents.
- Tourist destination: Fort Lauderdale’s status as a popular tourist destination means a constant influx of visitors. Tourists may not be familiar with local traffic patterns and may be more susceptible to accidents on foot and behind the wheel.
- Nightlife: Fort Lauderdale boasts a vibrant nightlife scene, often leading to increased foot traffic during late hours. This can result in more accidents, especially when alcohol is involved.
- Lack of pedestrian infrastructure: Inadequate pedestrian infrastructure, such as poorly marked crosswalks and insufficient sidewalks, can make it dangerous for pedestrians to navigate the city safely.
- Distracted driving: Smartphones and other distractions contribute to increased distracted driving incidents, which pose a significant risk to pedestrians.
- Failure to adapt to the weather: Fort Lauderdale’s tropical climate can lead to sudden rain showers and thunderstorms, reducing visibility and making road surfaces slippery, increasing the chances of accidents.
Blakeley Law Firm has years of courtroom experience, and we know how to relentlessly fight for your right to fair compensation.
If you want to know the value of your claim, give us a call at (954) 253-9445 for your free, 24/7 consultation.
What Are the Most Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
Pedestrian injuries can vary widely in severity, depending on the accident’s circumstances and the collision’s impact. However, some injuries are more commonly associated with pedestrian accidents.
The most common pedestrian injuries include:
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries include bruises, sprains, strains, and minor cuts and abrasions and are the most common injuries in pedestrian accidents. While they are generally less severe than other injuries, they are still painful and require medical attention.
- Fractures: Pedestrians are at risk of suffering bone fractures, particularly to the arms, legs, and wrists. These injuries range from minor fractures to more severe compound fractures that may require surgery to repair.
- Head injuries: Head injuries can be severe and life-threatening. Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can range from concussions to more severe brain damage, depending on the strength and location of impact.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries can result in long-term or permanent disability. The severity of these injuries can vary, with some causing partial paralysis and others resulting in complete paralysis, such as paraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Internal injuries: Pedestrians can also suffer internal injuries, such as organ damage or internal bleeding. These injuries may not be immediately apparent and become life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated in time.
- Facial injuries: Facial injuries, including fractures, lacerations, and dental injuries, can occur when a pedestrian’s face meets the vehicle or the ground during an accident.
- Psychological trauma: Pedestrians involved in accidents often experience psychological trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression.
- Road rash: When pedestrians slide along the road surface after being struck, they can suffer road rash, a painful skin abrasion that may sometimes require skin grafts.
The severity of all these injuries can range from minor to severe, and some accidents can cause more than one type of injury. Getting medical help quickly and having a thorough examination is pivotal.
Can a Pedestrian File a Claim Against a Driver if They Were Hit Outside of a Crosswalk?
Even if a pedestrian gets hit by a car while crossing the street away from a marked crosswalk, they still have the right to file a personal injury claim against the negligent driver.
What Evidence Will I Need to Collect to Prove My Case?
Fort Lauderdale is a bustling city, teeming with both foot and vehicle traffic. In a collision between a car and a pedestrian, the pedestrian bears the brunt of the impact, but that doesn’t mean you won't have to prove your case.
If you find yourself in this situation and seek compensation for your injuries and losses, it’s crucial to have the proper evidence to support your case.
Blakeley Law Firm understands the importance of gathering compelling evidence to tell your side of the story.
Here are some critical pieces of evidence we may collect on your behalf:
Police report: This impartial and unbiased document provides vital data about the accident. It records essential details, including the incident’s time, location, and circumstances. A thorough examination of the police report can often reveal important information that supports your case.
Your statement: Your account of the accident is invaluable. You can describe the incident from your perspective, detailing what you saw, heard, and experienced during the collision. Your statement helps paint a vivid picture of the events leading up to the accident.
Witness statements: Eyewitness Statements can provide additional perspectives and fill in crucial details about the accident. They can corroborate your account of the incident, adding credibility to your case.
Medical records: Documenting your injuries is essential for establishing their cause and long-term impact. Medical records describe the nature and extent of your injuries, the treatment you received, and your prognosis for recovery. These records are vital in assessing the financial cost of your medical care, both present and future.
Income documentation: If your injuries have resulted in income loss, we’ll gather evidence to substantiate your claims. This may include check stubs, direct deposit receipts, tax records, or other income reporting documents demonstrating your earnings before and after the accident.
This is crucial for ensuring you receive compensation for income losses, whether you are a full-time employee, part-time worker, freelancer, or business owner.
Property damage documentation: If your personal property, such as clothing, electronics, or personal belongings, was damaged during the accident, we’ll gather receipts and estimates for repairing or replacing these items. This documentation ensures you get the money you deserve for your losses.
We are committed to relentlessly pursuing your financial recovery. We understand that the evidence we gather is the foundation of your case, and we meticulously organize it into categories, including proof of cause, cost, and property damage.
We will also prepare your case for presentation to insurance providers or, if necessary, to a judge or jury.
In your quest for justice and compensation after a pedestrian accident in Fort Lauderdale, you don’t have to navigate the legal process alone.
Our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers are here to stand by your side, fighting for your rights and advocating for the compensation you rightfully deserve.
We have decades of courtroom experience and know how to fight for your right to fair compensation relentlessly.
If you want to know the value of your claim, give us a call for your free consultation.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer for a Pedestrian Accident?
Contracting a lawyer after a pedestrian accident can help for several reasons:
- Legal training: A pedestrian accident lawyer has deep knowledge of personal injury law, including the laws and regulations related to pedestrian accidents in Fort Lauderdale. They help you understand your rights and guide you through the legal process.
- Investigation: Lawyers thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the accident. They gather evidence, interview witnesses, and work with accident reconstruction experts to establish liability and build a strong case on your behalf.
- Determining liability: In many pedestrian accidents, fault is disputed. An experienced attorney can help determine liability by examining traffic laws, witness statements, surveillance footage, and expert opinions. This is crucial for establishing the at-fault party, which may be a driver, a property owner, or another entity.
- Maximizing compensation: Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators who can work with insurance companies to maximize your compensation. They can evaluate the full scope of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future related costs.
- Handling insurance companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex. Insurance adjusters often try to reduce your claim or pressure you into accepting a lower settlement. Attorneys protect your interests and ensure you are not exploited during negotiations.
- Litigation representation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, your lawyer can file a lawsuit and represent you in court. They can navigate the legal process, prepare your case, and advocate for your rights.
- Reducing stress: Recovering from a pedestrian accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially taxing. Having a lawyer take over the legal aspects of your case can relieve some of the stress and allow you to focus on your health.
- Access to resources: Attorneys have access to a network of professionals, including medical experts, accident reconstruction professionals, and investigators, who can provide valuable support in building your case.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that you have an experienced advocate on your side who is dedicated to protecting your rights and seeking fair compensation can provide peace of mind during a challenging time.
Hiring a lawyer for a pedestrian accident significantly improves your chances of getting the compensation you deserve and navigating the complex legal process more effectively.
We Will Stand by Your Side and Fight for Your Rights
If you’ve experienced a serious personal injury in Fort Lauderdale, contact our practiced personal injury attorneys at Blakeley Law Firm, P.A. immediately so we can get to work.
Our clients’ statements show you our unwavering commitment to professionalism, genuine care, and effective communication. They consistently say they feel fully supported and capably guided throughout their legal journey, creating a warm, family-like atmosphere.
We are excited to serve clients in various areas across the state, including Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach Counties, and we offer free consultations.
It’s important to know that insurance adjusters and others may employ various tactics to prevent you from receiving a fair settlement.
Please get in touch with our office at (954) 253-9445 to discuss how we can assist you.